Q: Who is Burn Blue? Can I join? What kind of involvment are you looking for?
A: Burn Blue is driven by it’s Officers with help from all of our teachers, djs, and volunteers. There are many chances to help us out in our mission by teaching, DJing or volunteering. If someone demonstrates that they have the skills and desire to help drive Burn Blue, we’d love to have them join us. Talk to topher if you’re interested.
Q: What is the financial purpose of Burn Blue?
- to be self-supporting
- to raise the value of teaching, DJing, and organizing
- this includes making these things financially viable by paying our teachers / djs / hosts well
- to re-invest in blues dancing in Seattle
Q: Where does the money go?
A: For the weekly dance, every 3 months we average our gross take a night minus security, water, the bar tab for staff, and drink tickets. Each night, this average gets divided evenly among the hosts, teachers, djs, and burn blue. Specifically
- Host(s) get paid 1/4th (total even if there are more than one)
- Dropin Teacher(s) each get paid 1/8th (usually there are 2)
- DJ get paid 1/16th per hour (there are 4 hours)
- Burn Blue gets 1/4th – this goes to scholarships for Blues Foundations, starting new events like the Foundations Practica, operating costs, throwing community meetings and events, and more.
We pay bands and out of town teachers on a case-by-case basis worked out by the host for the night.
To see the current values, check out our Rates.
Q: What’s Cover?
Experienced Drop-in Lesson:
Student rate $6 (including dance and Newcomer Drop-in)
General admission rate $10 (including dance and Newcomer Drop-in)
Newcomer Drop-in Lesson:
Student rate $3 (including dance)
General admission rate $5 (including dance)
Dance only (9:15pm-1:00am)remains priced at:
Student rate $5
General Admission rate $7
For more information on what is included with each lesson, go here.
Q: Is there a mailing list I can get on?
A: Sure is, check out our mailing lists.
Q: What are your long term plans?
A: Workshops, more regular lessons targeted at different levels, live music, more community involvement, stay tuned!